How to Handle a Sudden Hospital Emergency
Scenario….You have just received the phone call that your loved one is in the hospital and you are in shock. Feelings of overwhelm come over you, and your biggest fears are happening. Who is going to pick up the kids, how do you get out of work. How do you begin to put all of this together?
Below is a checklist for you to consider before this emergency occurs, don’t worry this is all manageable.
- Taking the time to breathe allows you to better assess the situation in order to make good decisions. It may seem a lot worse than it may be in this moment. Take a deep breathe in and feel your body, remember what you are capable of, you can handle this and you are not alone.
Now it is time to gather the facts:
1. Where is your loved one now?
2 . Assess the general situation, how does it affect them and others
3. Does their employer need to know?
4. Does anyone else need to know?
5. Look at your schedule if necessary
- what can you free up, where can you get help?
6. Who can you call to support you? A neighbor or friend to pick up the kids and keep them for awhile
7. Have you given an extra house key to someone who may need to look after your pets, or gather clothes for your children if you must be away for a longer period of time?
8. Gather their medical history
9. Gather medical insurance information, who is their primary care dr.?
10. Grab a pad of paper and 2 pens to take notes
11. Are you their power of attorney (medical, financial) if not who is?
12. When talking to the dr.’s have someone else there with you to catch detail that you may not or ask them to take the notes.
13. Grab snacks in case you are at the dr. or hospital for awhile.